Former member of ICTP.
He was formed here as numerical analyst – he has prepared and defended the PhD thesis while working at the Institute, and has published several papers in the field.
After leaving ICTP he has published a (cited) paper in SIAM J. Sci. Comput.
Fields of interest:
- Approximation Theory
- Nonlinear Iterative Methods (Newton, conjugate gradients)
- Numerical Analysis/Numerical Linear Algebra:
– iterative methods for solving linear systems;
– multilevel methods (multigrid, algebraic multigrid);
- Numerical Methods for Solving Differential and Partial Differential Equations:
– finite differences, finite element, wavelets, meshless;
- Parallel Algorithms (MPI)
- Methods for Accelerating the Convergence of Sequences
version: March 12, 2018.
|Date and place of birth||July, 23, 1967, Dej, Romania|
Education and degrees
|2001||Ph.D. in Mathematics
‘Babes-Bolyai’ University, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Doctoral dissertation ‘Numerical methods for approximating solutions of some Boundary Problems
concerning to differential and partial differential equations‘, PhD advisor: prof. dr. Gheorghe Micula
|1991||Master of Science
Faculty of Mathematics, ‘Babes-Bolyai’ University, Cluj-Napoca
|1985||graduated the Theoretical High School ‘Andrei Muresanu’, Dej|
|2003-?||research scientist CENAERO-Research Center in Aeronautics(Belgium)|
|1992-2008||researcher, ‘T. Popoviciu’ Institute of Numerical Analysis, Romanian Academy|
|1991-1992||assistant researcher, ‘T. Popoviciu’ Institute of Numerical Analysis, Romanian Academy|
Further experiences and training
|2001-2003||Post-doc., Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Service de Milieux Continus project SIVA-Simulation de problemes vibro-acoustiques par methodes numeriques sans maillage|
|1 March – 30 April 2000||Heidelberg University, IWR(Technical simulation Group) in the program ‘Applied Mathematics for Industrial Flow Problems (AMIF)’, grant supported by European Science Foundation|
|29 June – 7 July 2001||INRIA Rocquencourt (France), Action De Recherche Cooperative ‘Instabilites de Surface de Materiaux Contraints’|
|10 June – 7 July 2001||Universite de Poitiers (France), Laboratoire d’Applications des Mathematiques, in the program ‘Applied Mathematics for Industrial Flow Problems (AMIF)’, grant supported by European Science Foundation|
|25 Sept. – 9 Oct. 2000||Universite de Poitiers (France), Laboratoire d’Applications des Mathematiques, invited by Prof. A. Miranville|
|31 May-12 June 1999||European Summer School: Multiscale Approaches for Partial Differential Equations, Marseilles, France|
|6-21 Sept. 1999||EMS/WiR Summer School Numerical Simulation of Flows Heidelberg, Germany|
Selected Meetings and Symposia
- 25-30 Oct. 1993, The Academic Days of Cluj-Napoca, with communication ‘Some Consideration Concerning Algebraic Multigrid Methods’
- 27-30 Sept. 1994, Conference of Nonlinear Operators and Differential Equations, Cluj-Napoca, with communication ‘On Multilevel Iterative Methods for Nonlinear Integral Equations’ (in collaboration with I. Lazar)
- 17-29 Oct. 1994, The Academic days of Cluj-Napoca, with communication ‘Methods for accelerating the Convergence of a class of Sequences’ (in collaboration with I. lazar), and, ‘On Newton-projective Methods for Solving Nonlinear Integral Equations’ (in collaboration with I. Lazar)
- 3-7 July 1995, The Third International Congress on Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Hamburg, Germany with communication ‘Incremental Unknowns for solving Anisotropic Elliptic Equations’
- 23-27 Oct. 1995, The Academic days of Cluj-Napoca, with communication Method for Solving Linear Systems Obtained by Incremental Unknowns Method’
- 21-26 May 1997, Seminaire itinerant ‘Tiberiu Popoviciu’ d’equations fonctionelles, approximation et convexite, Cluj-Napoca, ‘Approximation by Spline Functions of the Solution of a Singularly Perturbed Bilocal Problem’ (in collaboration with C. Mustata)
Membership in professional societies
- GAMM (Gesellshaft fur Angewandte Mathematik und Mechanik)
Older publications – while working at ICTP
- A.C. Mureṣan, Y. Notay, Analysis of aggregation-based multigrid, SIAM Journal on Scientific Computing, 30 (2008) no. 2, 1082-1103.
- C.I. Gheorghiu, A.C. Mureşan, On the long-time energy conservation by high order geometric integrators, Érdi, Bálint (ed.) et al., International conference on actual problems in celestial mechanics and dynamical astronomy, Cluj-Napoca, Romania, May 25–27, 2006. Cluj-Napoca: Presa Universitară Clujeană / Cluj University Press (ISBN 978-973-610-555-5/pbk). Publications of the Astronomy Department of the Eötvös University 19, 213-219 (2007).
- A.C. Mureṣan, Quadratic eigenvalue problems in acoustics, SIVA report nr. 5, Service des Milieux Continus (ULB), Dec. 2002.
- A.C. Mureṣan, Block-structured meshless indefinite linear systems, SIVA report nr. 4, Service des Milieux Continus (ULB), July 2002.
- A.C. Mureṣan, Numerical study of some iterative methods in the EFG context, SIVA report nr. 3, Service des Milieux Continus (ULB), Dec. 2001.
- C.I. Gheorghiu and A.C. Mureṣan, On the significance of integral properties of orbits in some superlinear fixed-period problems, Semin. Fixed Point Theory Cluj-Napoca 3, 223-230 (2002)..
- A.C. Mureṣan and A. Curṣeu, High-order compact schemes and incremental unknowns for 1D convection diffusion problems, in Proceeding of the ‘Journees Jeunes Numericiens-Colloque en l’honeur de R. Temam’, editor: editions Scientifiques Poitou-Charentes 2001, 77-89.
- A. Miranville and A.C. Mureṣan, Block incremental unknowns for anisotropic elliptic equations, Applied Numerical Mathematics, 42 (2002) 4, 529-543.
- A. Miranville and A.C. Mureṣan, The uncentered type incremental unknowns for a singularly perturbed bilocal problem, Rev. Anal. Numer. Theor. Approx., 29 (2000) 2, 161-171.
- A.C. Mureṣan and C. Mustăṭa, A Galerkin method for a singularly perturbed bilocal problem, Bul. Stiinṭ. Univ. Baia Mare, Ser. B, Mathematică-Informatică, 15 (1999) 1-2, 89-102.
- A.C. Mureṣan, C. Mustăṭa and R. Mustăṭa, Approximation by spline functions of the solution of a singularly perturbed bilocal problem, Rev. Anal. Numer. Theor. Approx., 27 (1998) 2, 297-308.
- A. C. Mureṣan, A method for obtaining iterative formulas of higher order for roots of equations, Rev. Anal. Numer. Theor. Approx., 26 (1997) 1-2, 131-135.
- A.C. Mureṣan and I. Lazăr, Generalized transformation on ratios of Fibonacci and Lucas numbers, Rev. Anal. Numer. Theor. Approx., 24 (1995) nos. 1-2, pp. 169-179.
- A.C. Mureṣan, Remarks concerning a method for accelerating the convergence of sequences, Rev. Anal. Numer. Theor. Approx., 23 (1994) no. 1, pp. 79-87.