Institute annual report 2019
The Numerical Analysis and Approximation Theory workgroup:
- Dr. Emil Cătinaş (workgroup coordinator)
- Prof. Dr. Ion Păvăloiu (from January to March 2019)
- Prof. Dr. Octavian Agratini
- Dr. Mira-Cristiana Anisiu (March 2009)
- Dr. Diana Otrocol
- Dr. Flavius Pătrulescu
- Mihai Nechita
- Imre Boros
- Cristian-Daniel Alecsa
The Numerical Modeling workgroup:
- Dr. Călin-Ioan Gheorghiu (workgroup coordinator)
- Dr. rer. nat. habil. Nicolae Suciu
- Dr. Maria Crăciun
- Dr. rer. nat. habil. Nicolae Suciu supervises PhD theses.
He has recently supervised the thesis Filtered density functions for uncertainty assessment of transport in groundwater, by Lennart Schüler, defended on September 8, 2016, at Jena University, Germany; the thesis received the distinction Magna Cum Laudae.
- Prof. dr. Ion Păvăloiu has supervised in the past 8 PhD theses at North University of Baia-Mare and at Babeş-Bolyai University.
- Prof. dr. Octavian Agratini, who supervises PhD theses at Babes-Bolyai University.
- N. Suciu, Diffusion in random fields. Applications to transport in groundwater, Birkhäuser (Springer) 2019, xiv + 262 pp, ISBN 978-3-030-15080-8.
Papers published in JCR/ISI journals
- E. Cătinaş, A survey on the high convergence orders and computational convergence orders of sequences, Appl. Math. Comput., 343 (2019) 1-20. (2018 SRI 0.97, IF 3.092)
- E. Burman, M. Nechita, L. Oksanen, Unique continuation for the Helmholtz equation using stabilized finite element methods, J. Math. Pures Appl. 129 (2019), pp. 1-22. (SRI 3.7, IF 1.961,)
(rem.: M. Nechita is a PhD student at UCL, London)
- V. Moisoiu, A. Socaciu, A. Stefancu, S.D. Iancu, I. Boros, C. Alecsa, C. Rachieriu, A.R. Chiorean, D. Eniu, N. Leopold, C. Socaciu, D. Eniu, Breast cancer diagnosis by surface-enhanced Raman scattering (SERS) of urine, Appl. Sci. (2019), 9(4), 806; (SRI 0.93, IF 2.217)
- A. Aral, D. Otrocol, I. Raşa, On approximation by some Bernstein–Kantorovich exponential-type polynomials, Period. Math. Hung. (2019) 79: 236. (SRI 0.51, IF 0.664)
- D. Alecsa, Common fixed points for Presic operators via simulation functions, J. Nonlin. Conv. Analysis, 20 (2019) no. 3, 363-377. (SRI 0.35, IF 0.595) ISSN 1345-4773
- M. Crăciun, T. Harko, Constraining Bose-Einstein condensate dark matter models with the galaxy rotation curves of the SPARC sample, Romanian Astronomical Journal, 29 (2019) no.2, 101-118.
- V. Moisoiu, A. Stefancu, S. D. Iancu, T. Moisoiu, L. Loga, L. Dican, C. D. Alecsa, I. Boros, A. Jurj, D. Dima, C. Bagacean, R. Tetean, E. Burzo, C. Tomuleasa, F. Elec, N. Leopold, SERS assessment of the cancer-specific methylation pattern of genomic DNA: towards the detection of acute myeloid leukemia in patients undergoing hematopoietic stem cell transplantation, Anal. Bioanal. Chem. 411 (2019) no. 29, pp. 7907–7913. (doi: 10.1007/s00216-019-02213-2)
- D. Alecsa, Approximating fixed points for nonlinear generalized mappings using Ishikawa iteration, Rendiconti del Circolo Matematico di Palermo, Series 2, 68 (2019), 163-191.
- C.D. Alecsa, Sequences of contractions on cone metric spaces over Banach algebras and applications to nonlinear systems of equations and systems of differential equations, International J. Nonlin. Anal. Appl., 10 (2019) 2, pp. 227-254, DOI: 10.22075/ijnaa.2019.18884.2040
- D. Otrocol, Qualitative properties of solutions for mixed type functional-differential equations with maxima, Miskolc Mathematical Notes, 20 (2019) no. 2, pp. 1119-1128.
Papers published in other journals
- C.I. Gheorghiu, Spectral collocation solutions to a class of pseudo-parabolic equations, G. Nikolov et al. (Eds.): Numerical Methods and Applications. NMA 2018. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 11189. Springer, Cham., pp. 1–8, 2019. doi: 10.1007/978-3-030-10692-8_20
- Agratini, Shift λ – invariant operators, Constructive Mathematical Analysis, 2 (2019) 3, 103-108. DOI http://doi/org/10.33205/cma.544094
- Agratini, From uniform to statistical convergence of binomial-type operators, In: Advances In Summability And Approximation Theory, 169 – 179, (Eds. S. A. Mohiuddine, T. Acar), Springer, Singapore, 2018. ISBN: 978-981-13-3076-6, DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-3077-3_10
- C.I. Gheorghiu, B. Zinsou, Analytic vs. numerical solutions to a Sturm-Liouville transmission eigenproblem, J. Numer. Anal. Approx. Theory, 48 (2019) no. 2, 159-174.
Preprints on Arxiv
- D. Alecsa, I. Boros, T. Pinta, New optimization algorithms for neural network training using operator splitting techniques, Arxiv 1904.12952 (preprint)
- Maduta, D. Otrocol, I. Rasa, Inequalities for indices of coincidence and entropies, arXiv: 1910.1349 (preprint)
Papers published online in 2019 in JCR (ISI) papers, with DOI codes
- O. Pătrulescu, T. Groşan, I. Pop, Natural convection from a vertical plate embedded in a non-Darcy bidisperse porous medium, ASME-Journal of Heat Transfer (2019), DOI: https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4045067. (ISSN: 0022-1481). IF: 1.479. (rem: paper published in 2019, with coordinates in 2020)
- C.-D. Alecsa, S.C. László, A. Viorel, A gradient-type algorithm with backward inertial steps associated to a nonconvex minimization problem, Numer. Algor., https://doi.org/10.1007/s11075-019-00765-z
- C.I. Gheorghiu, Spectral Collocation Based on Quasi-Classical Orthogonal Polynomials Applied to Solve a Singular BVP from Hydrodynamics, AIP Publishing, (accepted, to appear)
Papers accepted in other journals
- D. Alecsa, A. Petrusel, Some variants of Ciric’s multi-valued contraction principle, Annals of West University of Timisoara – Mathematics and Computer Science.
- T. Catinas, D. Otrocol, Iterates of Cheney-Sharma type operators on a triangle with curved side, J. Comput. Anal. Appl.
- C.D. Alecsa, Diploma Academiei Romane privind rezultate remarcabile cu privire la teoria si programarea metodelor numerice, May 14 2019. (Romanian Academy Diploma for: remarkable results regarding theory and practice of numerical methods)
Members of Editorial Boards
- Studia UBB Math.: O. Agratini (senior editor)
- J. Numer. Anal. Approx. Theory: O. Agratini (Editor-in-Chief), E. Catinas (Editor-in-Chief), D. Otrocol, M. Nechita, I. Boros
- ROMAI Journal: N. Suciu, C.I. Gheorghiu
- Mathematica (Cluj): O. Agratini
- Open Journal of Discrete Mathematics: O. Agratini
- J. Science and Arts: O. Agratini
Symposium: Numerical Analysis, Approximation and Modeling, Cluj-Napoca, April 16, 2019.
Note: with the participation of Prof. C. Cartis (Univ. of Oxford).
Conferences attended by the members of the Institute
- N. Suciu, Global random walk solutions for flow in porous media (poster), EGU General Assembly 2015, Vienna, April, 7–12, 2019, https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU2019/posters/30957
- N. Suciu, Global random walk solutions for flow in porous media (prezentare orala), European Numerical Mathematics and Advanced Applications Conference 2019, 30th sep – 4th okt 2019, Egmond aan Zee, The Netherlands, https://www.enumath2019.eu/program/day/4?man_id=536
- Harko, M. Crăciun, S. Liang, Testing the Bose-Einstein dark matter model with galactic rotation curves from the SPARC sample, 2019 International Mini Workshop on Composite Higgs, Dark Matter, Neutrinos, New Physics, Gauge-Higgs Unification and Related Topics, Sun Yat-sen University (SYSU), Guangzhou, China, 21-24 November 2019.
- C.I. Gheorghiu, Finite element solutions to a Sturm-Liouville transmission eigenproblem, 90th Annual Meeting of the International Association of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 18 – 22 February 2019 University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria.
- C.I. Gheorghiu, Spectral Collocation Based on Quasi-Classical Orthogonal Polynomials Applied to Solve a Singular BVP from Hydrodynamics, ICNAAM 2019, Rhodes, Greece
- T. Grosan, I. Pop, F.O. Patrulescu, Transfer Phenomena in Non-Darcy Bidisperse Porous Media, 15th International Conference on Fluid Mechanics (FLUIDS ’19), Athens, Greece, December 8-10, 2019 http://www.wseas.org/multimedia/conferences/2019/Athens-A/Program.pdf
- D. Otrocol (joint work with A. Novac and D. Popa), Ulam stability of a linear difference equation in locally convex spaces, International Conference on Approximation Theory and Its Applications, Alexandru Lupas, 10-13 October, 2019, Sibiu, Romania, http://conferences.ulbsibiu.ro/icata
- O. Agratini, Non-Newtonian Calculus and Approximation Theory, The International Conference on Approximation Theory and its Applications, Sibiu, 10-13 October 2019. (joint work with Harun Karsli)
- D. Otrocol (joint work with Ioan Rasa), Functional equations and entropies, The Eighteenth International Conference on Functional Equations and Inequalities (18 ICFEI), Bedlewo, Poland, June 9 – 15, 2019, https://icfei.up.krakow.pl/
- O. Agratini, Approximation processes with flexible nodes, Numerical Analysis, Approximation and Modeling, Academic Days, Cluj-Napoca, April 16 2019
- C. I. Gheorghiu, Spectral collocation methods based on quasi-classical orthogonal polynomials. Some numerical experiments, Numerical Analysis, Approximation and Modeling, Academic Days, Cluj-Napoca, April 16 2019
- F. Pătrulescu, C.D. Alecsa, N. Suciu, Numerical solutions (finite element method, finite difference) for a flow problem in aquifers, Numerical Analysis, Approximation and Modeling, Academic Days, Cluj-Napoca, April 16 2019
- I. Boros, Spectral methods with arbitrary precision for differential problems. Application to a flow problem in heterogeneous aquifers, Numerical Analysis, Approximation and Modeling, Academic Days, Cluj-Napoca, April 16 2019
- M. Crăciun, T. Harko, About the fitting of a dark matter model on the galactic rotation curves data, Numerical Analysis, Approximation and Modeling, Academic Days, Cluj-Napoca, April 16 2019
- M.-C. Anisiu, Families of curves and compatible potentials, Numerical Analysis, Approximation and Modeling, Academic Days, Cluj-Napoca, April 16 2019
- I. Păvăloiu, E. Cătinaș, On the convergence of some iterative methods for nonlinear equations in R, Numerical Analysis, Approximation and Modeling, Academic Days, Cluj-Napoca, April 16 2019
- C. D. Alecsa, A gradient type algorithm with backward inertial steps for a nonconvex minimization, Numerical Analysis, Approximation and Modeling, Academic Days, Cluj-Napoca, April 16 2019
- A. Novac, D. Otrocol, D. Popa, On Ulam stability of a linear difference equation in locally convex spaces, Numerical Analysis, Approximation and Modeling, Academic Days, Cluj-Napoca, April 16 2019
- M. Crăciun, T. Harko, Galactic rotation curves in Bose-Einstein Condensate dark matter models, Recent developments in astronomy, astrophysics, space and planetary sciences, Recent developments in astronomy, astrophysics, space and planetary sciences, International Conference, 27-29 May 2019, Cluj-Napoca
- A. Pop, M. Crăciun, V. Turcu, Detection of a low level period variability in the pulsating star SZ Lyncis, Recent developments in astronomy, astrophysics, space and planetary sciences, International Conference, 27-29 May 2019, Cluj-Napoca
- C.I. Gheorghiu, Two Open Problems Concerning Quasi-Periodic Eigenproblems, CAIM 2019, Universitatea Valahia, Târgovişte.
- C.I. Gheorghiu, On the utility of non-classical orthogonal Polynomials. Boundary value and eigenvalue problems, ICATA 2019, Universitatea Lucian Blaga, Sibiu.
- International grant SU 415/4-1 (https://gepris.dfg.de/gepris/projekt/405338726) obtained by dr. rer. habil. N. Suciu from (Deutschefourschungs Gmemeindschaft), for the project “Integrated global random walk model for reactive transport in groundwater adapted to measurement spatio-temporal scales” (01.10.2018-30.09.2021), in progress at Erlangen-Nuernberg University.