Ph.D. in Mathematics (1999)
Head of “Tiberiu Popoviciu” Institute of Numerical Analysis (ICTP)
Senior researcher (I) at ICTP
Domains of research:
- Numerical analysis of ordinary/partial differential equations (in progress)
- Numerical analysis of iterative methods for solving nonlinear problems
- Newton type methods for solving systems of nonlinear equations
- the method of successive approximations for fixed points
- Numerical Linear Algebra
- Krylov methods for solving large linear systems in Rn
- eigenproblems solved by Newton-type iterations
- Programming in Matlab and C for numerical tests.
- Computer graphics
- I. Păvăloiu, E. Cătinaş, On a robust Aitken–Newton method based on the Hermite polynomial, Appl. Math. Comput., 287-288 (2016), pp. 224-231. (freely available at ScienceDirect)
- E. Cătinaş, Estimating the radius of an attraction ball, Appl. Math. Lett., 22 (2009) no. 5, pp. 712-714.
- E. Cătinaş, The inexact, inexact perturbed and quasi-Newton methods are equivalent models, Math. Comp., 74 (2005) no. 249, pp. 291-301.
- E. Cătinaş, On the superlinear convergence of the successive approximations method, J. Optim. Theory Appl., 113 (2002) no. 3, pp. 473-485.
- E. Cătinaş, Inexact perturbed Newton methods and applications to a class of Krylov solvers, J. Optim. Theory Appl., 108 (2001) no. 3, pp. 543-570.
- E. Cătinaş, On some iterative methods for solving nonlinear equations, Rev. Anal. Numér. Théor. Approx., 23 (1994) no. 1, pp. 47-53.
(version of January 10, 2018)